Sunday 19 October 2008

The story

Quite a few people have been asking me about the story. Which means I've had to repeat and develop it several times in day. Which means I've become increasingly aware of all of its 'faults'. Which means I've tried to think around all of the 'faults'. Which means I've had to come up with some 'solutions'.

These solutions have so far taken the form of coming up with new and increasingly complex plot and narrative points. Like the introduction of different dimensions to cope with all of the applied mathematics involved. Which actually doesn't solve anything to do with the holes in the story.

I've also yet to figure out any meaningful motivation for the protagonist, or indeed any meaningful characteristics and that  an audience could empathise with.

So far I've just thought that 'his' voice would mirror my own. But considering that he's a bit of an adventurer and lives in a mixed up world being played with by two different sets of aliens, this seems naive and lazy.

I need to tackle these problems and make Ulam a real person  and not just a convenient hook to hang my ideas and obsessions on.

That said Alex said something earlier today 'the story is actually about how much Chris loves numbers.'

A visitor also clarified the form which the story is taking by using the example of love stories that happen to the background of war. This was helpful as it stopped me worrying about the way the two main plot lines don't really relate to each other. Stopped me worrying quite so much.

But I do need to tackle my character, especially as he's the only one I've got and therefore the only one that the readers have got.


.

c

No comments: