Sunday 19 October 2008

Day Two: Some Improvement, Could do Better.

It felt great to actually get started on the inking.  I had realised at the start of the day that the way of improving, of learning, is to actually finish some pages.  We talked a bit about Dave Sim's work on Cerebrus; in the first collected edition he points out that he's only reprinting the first strips for narrative completeness, because the drawing isn't very good (my paraphrasing).  And the improvement in the drawing by the end of the first volume is remarkable.

So getting page one done felt good.  I know, it's only one page.  It's no where near as competent as what I had in my head, but it seemed to get a fairly positive response from Chris and some of our visitors.  Page two started quicker, and we seem to be working well on developing and changing the structure and layout, now that Chris is giving me his loose layout ideas.  He's also revised the narrative well, so now it doesn't take three pages to establish that Ulam is sitting in the middle of the Nazca Lines.  Sometimes he changes the script and forgets to tell me, but so far that hasn't led to any major disasters.  

I realised I had got the lettering far too big on page one.  May have to get re-done.  

So, day three's work: finish inking page two, pencil and ink page three.  If we get there, after two and a half days work, we'll have done okay, I think.

No comments: