Tuesday 14 October 2008

Preparatory Sketches List

I have re-read Chris' original synopsis/short story, that is the basis for our graphic novel collaboration, as research for who and what I need to do some development work and preparatory sketches of, before actually drawing the first episode.

I talked to Chris about doing these sketches and he said "What do you mean? I'll just tell you what they look like."  This made me think of hearing Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons talk at a comics convention in Birmingham, years ago, just after the first issue of Watchmen was published.  They continually talked as if they were both the joint authors of both the narrative and the layout of the book.  They used the word "we" a lot.

Anyway, I noted everything I felt I ought to do a bit of work on, if the comic stays true to the original story.  
Characters & Creatures:
the journalist
the cabbie
the old italian
the suitable monk
the 'n' (alien race)
the 'x' (alien race)
a goat
the previously most deadly carnivorous birds on the face of the planet (who are now shivering and cowardly)
noah
noah's son
monks (in general)
nuns
the liquorice novice
the peruvian monk (who has 'the face of an owl' and a haircut 'like captain kirk') 
the infinity monk
the rogue monks
huskies
the huskie team boss
stalin
estonian factory workers
polish eunuchs
surfers

Places, Objects, Things:
the broken laptop
the library
the books
the citadel of dunarkin
noah's ark
mount ararat
yerevan (in general)
the old italian's house/shack
the 'n''s space craft
the 'x''s space craft 
jupiter
mars
charon (moon of pluto, not guardian of the river styx)
a trabant taxi
the nazca lines
a supermarket in yerevan
an estonian factory
detonators
moscow
sexy but strange flying machines
the peruvian embassy, yerevan
the orkneys
a top top secret research station
the andes
So, there aren't many women in this story, apart from the nuns.  I think this is one of the areas I'd like to develop, if I am able to influence the direction the narrative takes as Chris is re-working and re-writing, and the process becomes more collaborative.  Although I find women harder to draw than men, so we don't want to introduce too many of them.

No comments: