Sunday 28 September 2008

Shopping



I've been dipping in to a few books about drawing comics (like Chris I'm now a big fan of Scott McCloud) and realising that actually I do need the right tools for the job, if only to at least give visitors to our workspace at the Millennium Gallery, and Chris for that matter (yeah, alright, and myself), the impression that I know what I'm doing.

Which was a great excuse to go to one of my favourite shops, Pinders, and spend some cash.  Look at that art supply joy.  If I'd dug through all my stuff I might have found my old drawing pen and nib pens, but actually buying all this kit new, along with the Bristol Board and India Ink, was very good for morale.

I've been using the pens for drawing another project, which is room plans and writing - human figures with faces are completely absent - so not great practice, but it's getting me warmed up.

*

Predictably, since my last post I've been continually thinking things like: 
How could I not mention Chris Ware?
How about Howard Chaykin and Brian Bolland - they were massive formative influences when I was a teenager...
So, er, them aswell.

2 comments:

Noel Curry said...

Hey, are those Rotring Pens? I've been thinking about getting some myself, as I'm attempting to start cartooning again (I used to dabble at Uni). I'm very interested (and impressed) by this project. Are you going to post pages?
Didn't know you wanted to be a comic book artist Alex. Drawing cartoons has always been a bit of a fantasy career for me.

Alex said...

Hey Noel

Yes indeed, they're Rotring pens. They're not as scratchy as I remember them from my teenage years - probably because I didn't look after them as well as I should have done.

We'll post panels and maybe complete pages as we go once we're actually working on the first chapter. There is currently some debate about how much we can realistically achieve in 3 days...

I can relate to the fantasy career thing... drawing for a living would be great, wouldn't it?