Tuesday 9 September 2008

Research



I've just finished ZOT! by Scott McCloud and feel much happier about our unofficial decision to make the graphic novel in black and white. However, and there always seems to be a 'however', in his numerous footnotes he states that he often went over each panel several times before he was happy with them or before he went too far over his publishing deadline.

Also I'm reading 'Create Your Own Graphic Novel' by Mike Chinn and Chris Mcloughlin, which is helpful but one again serves to remind me of how little I actually know about making work in the medium.

I'm wondering whether we need help from computer technology but then this only creates concerns about how we would need to master the technology as part of the process. But then scanners and computers do appear to be integral parts of contemporary graphic novel production.

Once I get my tax return done I am also going to re-write the story - or at least the first chapter.


You see and then in '
Create Your Own Graphic Novel' they mention the art in Neil Gaimans 1604 where the illustrator went over his original pencil sketches with colour pencils giving them a painterly quality.... and it looks great. And seems quite simple.

Scott McCloud's website is now my favourite website.


No comments: